The Happiest 5k is sending you happy thoughts and rainbows today, on the most depressing day of the year, also know as Blue Monday.
To help you get through the day we’ve put together some handy hints and tops to help you crack the Blue Monday code:
1. Smile at everyone you pass. When you smile, you release a cascade of feel-good chemicals in your brain. Smiling is contagious, too, so if you smile at others you’ll help them feel better as well. Maybe even follow up with a high five if you’re feeling extra confident!
2. Get the day off right by doing something kind, maybe make a colleague a tea or coffee, give up your seat on the train or just give your neighbour a wave
3. Smell an orange… several studies have found that the scent of oranges can reduce stress and improve mood
4. Try something new. Be creative or go to a new gym class, new restaurant, or even go bold and try writing with a different coloured pen!
5. Laugh, laugh, laugh and laugh some more! Laughing really does make everything better and it’s so much FUN!
6. Challenge your boss (or colleague, class mate, parent) to a dance off. Because… why not!
7. Text your friends 3 things you love about them
8. Be grateful. Recent research has shown that when you take time to appreciate what you already have, you’ll feel more energetic and optimistic. Make a list of things you’re grateful for, and people you’re grateful you know.
To be in the chance of winning a pair of our super cool The Color Run socks head to our Facebook page here!
Our Facebook Competition Terms and Conditions can be downloaded here.